zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Ebaugh <aeba...@real.com>
Subject monitoring cluster health via zk mbean data
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2011 19:56:27 GMT
We make extensive use of Zabbix for monitoring our systems, and zookeeper is being used in
conjunction with cassandra and tomcat webapps. These other systems are relatively easy to
stamp out generic monitoring templates for.
Recently we've tried to extend the monitoring to Zookeeper's JMX mbeans, but have found this
difficult considering mbeans are all dynamically named, depending on standalone vs. cluster,
 and member to member within a cluster, and which member is elected leader.

Wondering what others are doing for monitoring this data (with any framework). For Zabbix
we're looking at tailoring templates to individual members. Another approach might be to re-export
the dynamic-named mbeans with a common naming.

The main thing we want to monitor is whether the service is alive, request latency, number
of connections, which node is leader, etc.