zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Zookeeper for generating sequential IDs
Date Fri, 25 Feb 2011 17:43:03 GMT
If your id's don't need to be exactly sequential or if the generation rate
is less than a few thousand per second, ZK is a fine choice.

To get very high generation rates, what is typically done is to allocate
blocks of id's using ZK and then allocate out of the block locally.  This
can cause you to wind up with a slightly swiss-cheesed id space and it means
that the ordering of id's only approximates the time ordering of when the
id's were assigned.  Neither of these is typically a problem.