zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Thijs Terlouw <thijsterl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSOC 2011 is coming
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2011 08:31:14 GMT
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Patrick Hunt <phunt@apache.org> wrote:
> A couple of the unimplemented ZK GSOC issues look interesting (DNS?).

I think DNS-like behavior is indeed one of the best usages of
ZooKeeper. In the Chubby paper the Google guys also said this is their
primary usage I believe? Every distributed system needs to lookup
other parts of the distributed system, few systems need advanced
features such as distributed locking.

If anybody in GSOC is going to work on a DNS-like version, I suggest
that they add a local cache (on the side of the zookeeper client
library), such that it will still work if the ZooKeeper cluster is
unavailable. For most use-cases this should be the preferred solution.
It could be implemented as a local standalone agent + shared memory or
as a library and backed by a yaml-file (I did this hehe) etc, there
are many options!

Thinking even further: you could build a software-router on top of a
DNS-client, such that it only routes requests to alive nodes for
example. When a node dies, it triggers a children changed event,
refreshing the dns cache, updating the router and the next requests
only hit the newly created server-list. Anyway, enough practical
ideas!

Thijs Terlouw,
Shenzhen, China
http://www.startinchina.com