zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Benjamin Reed <br...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Some thoughts on Zookeeper after using it for a while in the CXF/DOSGi subproject
Date Fri, 29 May 2009 16:13:37 GMT
this is great to hear. it's great to see siblings playing together ;)

> * In CXF we use Maven to build everything. To depend on Zookeeper we
> need to pull it in from a Maven repository. I couldn't find Zookeeper
> in any main Maven repos, so currently we're pulling it in from
> http://people.apache.org/~chirino/zk-repo (a private repo), which is
> not ideal. Would there be any chance of getting the zookeeper.jar file
> deployed to one of the main Maven repo's (e.g.
> http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/)?

yeah this is an increasing thorn in our side. some of us would like to
convert to maven, but we are tied to the hadoop build process since we
reuse all of their build/test infrastructure. we will probably be using
ivy to connect to maven repositories.
> * To use Zookeeper from within OSGi it has to be turned into an OSGi
> bundle. Doing this is not hard and it's currently done in our
> buildsystem [1]. However, I think it would make sense to have this
> done somewhere in the Zookeeper buildsystem. Matter of fact I think
> you should be able to release a single zookeeper.jar that's both an
> ordinary jar and an OSGi bundle so it would work in both cases...

i completely agree. please open a jira and submit a patch.
> * The Zookeeper server is currently started with the zkServer.sh
> script, but I think it would make sense to also allow it to run inside
> an OSGi container, simply by starting a bundle. Has anyone ever done
> any work in this regard? If not I'm planning to spend some time and
> try to make this work.

we have a current open jira about making it possible to embed the
zookeeper server in other applications. the big problem is the
System.exits that we have sprinkled around. it shouldn't be hard to make
happen since we start and stop the server in our unit tests.
> * BTW I made some Windows versions of the zkCli/zkEnv/zkServer
> scripts. Interested in taking these?

excellent. please submit a jira and patch!

i'm so glad you are working on this. i've been thinking for a long time
that ZooKeeper would fit really well with OSGi, but i haven't had time
to work on it. thank you!

ben