zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Jordan Zimmerman <jor...@jordanzimmerman.com>
Subject Re: Any interest in a gRPC version of ZooKeeper
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2019 18:18:24 GMT
FYI

We have an open discussion regarding replacing Jute, using gRPC and related things in this
sub channel on the ASF Slack board. All are welcome to join in:

https://the-asf.slack.com/archives/CQKS7A3FT <https://the-asf.slack.com/archives/CQKS7A3FT>

-Jordan

> On Nov 18, 2019, at 9:25 AM, Jordan Zimmerman <jordan@jordanzimmerman.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've written a proof of concept implementation of a ServerCnxnFactory that implements
gRPC. The goal is to make it possible to easily write ZooKeeper clients in non-JVM languages.
Using the proof of concept I was able to write a Golang client easily. What's the interest
level of something like this? Let's discuss if it's worth pursuing. I'd be willing to move
this from proof of concept to production but I'll need help (1 or 2 co-developers).

> If you want to try it, I've pushed the Golang client and some instructions here (let
me know if you have any issues - I'm a go neophyte). Note: "zookeeper/test.go" is the interesting
file:

> 	https://github.com/Randgalt/zkgrpc <https://github.com/Randgalt/zkgrpc>
>
> Here's the proof of concept on the ZK server side (the interesting files are RpcServerCnxn.java,
RpcServerCnxnFactory.java, RpcZooKeeperServer.java and zookeeper.proto):

> 	https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/compare/master...Randgalt:wip-grpc <https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/compare/master...Randgalt:wip-grpc>

> Issues:
> Writing a client, even with gRPC, will require some work. Sessions have to be maintained,
watchers have to be maintained, etc.
> Currently, Jute is deeply embedded in ZooKeeper. The proof of concept has to emulate
Jute byte buffers. Ideally, this will be abstracted so that only records could be used so
that the gRPC connection doesn't have to keep marshalling/unmarshalling byte buffers
> I don't know enough about the gRPC client/server implementations to know if it will meet
the needs of ZooKeeper. Anyone have experience here?
> I haven't completely thought through how much work it will take to write useful clients.
As I've shown with the proof of concept simple ZK CRUD db operations work well. I need to
spend time writing a recipe such as Leader Election to see how much work is required.