zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Releasing 3.6.0 - ALPHA or not ?
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2019 14:11:09 GMT
Enrico these are good ideas, thoughts below:

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 6:09 AM Norbert Kalmar <nkalmar@cloudera.com.invalid>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 3.5 had a lot of new features that wasn't really finalized, so API changed
> until stable 3.5 (3.5.5). But I don't think this is the case with 3.6.0, we
> have complete and pretty much finalized features as far as I can tell.
> Also, it did confuse me that with the beta and alpha releases on 3.5 minor
> version jumped as well. So if we want to stick with alpha/beta qualifier,
> let's keep it at 3.6.0-alpha and 3.6.0-beta (not like 3.6.2-beta).

That is a good point Norbert. We did try to say "alpha/beta is unstable"
(apis/code/etc...). That worked fairly well, but we were in that state for
so long that people started using it in production and then got upset when
we did change the APIs (whatever). As such I would say this is only
partially successful. Perhaps it would have been more successful if we had
limited the beta time down more, however folks kept increasing the scope
(by committing new features to 3.5 rather than trunk) and that ended up
continually pushing out the dates.

> I don't know any change that would justify an "alpha" version, so maybe a
> beta would be better? But I'm also just fine releasing just "3.6.0". Bugfix
> version is zero, everyone pretty much knows what that means :)

Perhaps a limited "beta" to allow folks to bang on it, then a planned move
to "stable"? You could say we'll release it as beta for 3 months then move
to stable if there are no major issues. The problem with just releasing
straight to stable is that many folks won't try it out from source and
would only try a binary.

Patrick