zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Voting on pull requests
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2019 10:44:43 GMT
Hi folks,

I’ve seen 2 patches committed recently with “-1s" from committers on it.

https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/899 <https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/899>
https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/944 <https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/944>

Not a big deal in this case and I think they were in a good shape and ready to commit, but
I’d like to clarify how do we handle voting on pull requests. We use github to prepare patches
by creating pull requests. Github also has a feature of “reviewing” which means that reviewers
are able to “approve”, “comment” and “request for changes”. In terms of voting
this means:

- “approve” = +1
- “comment” = 0
- “request for changes” = -1

In order to commit a patch we need at least 2 binding +1s without binding -1. Committers/PMCs
are able to veto this way.

Do we agree on this process completely?

I know that activity in ZooKeeper community is usually very flaky and sometimes it’s hard
to find committers to review patches. In these cases we usually just commit smaller patches
with a single binding vote, but I think we should be more careful about binding -1s.

Please in the future if you see my -1 on a patch which you think is ready to commit, bug me
as hard as it takes. I’ll make every effort to review as soon as possible and apologies
for any delay.

Thanks,
Andor