zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Github & Jira notifications
Date Mon, 13 May 2019 14:43:56 GMT
I seem to remember that in the early days of apache the intent was for all
developers to participate in development of the project. MLs were used for
this initially and there has been concern in the past about the move to
JIRA as it removes critical discussions from the general dev flow. JIRA
discussions are cc'd to an ML for just this reason. Granted another aspect
of this mirroring is for archival purposes.

As such the intent is for developers to participate in development
discussion. It sounds like you're turning this on it's head.

Isn't this why we have a user list? For folks that are only casually
interested in project activity?

Patrick

On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 3:31 AM Andor Molnar <andor@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> multiple mailing lists is technologically a better distinction for emails:
> separate archives, different retention policies, less email to be delivered
> (filters working on client side) and more convenient for new subscribers.
>
> *Markmail*
> I’m a power user of markmail too, but I’m not sure how it works. Tbh I
> cannot see the benefits of searching for automated emails from Gitbox, but
> I’m sure we can set it up properly, if needed.
>
> *Existing users*
> It’s completely valid that on the flip side we’ll mess up the config of
> existing users. I don’t we can avoid that or do this in a backward
> compatible way, but I think it’s worth to pay this price. What will happen
> to them?
> - Stop receiving emails from Jira and Github,
> - Get the announcement on the dev list: hey, from now on you need to
> subscribe from a@zk.org if you want to be notified about A and b@zk.org
> if you want to be notified about B, etc.
> I don’t think we can automatically subscribe them for the new lists, it
> sounds like against the law (GDPR?), but I’m not a lawyer.
>
> My 2 cents.
>
> Regards,
> Andor
>

> > On 2019. May 13., at 9:25, Norbert Kalmar <nkalmar@cloudera.com.INVALID>
> wrote:
> >
> > Well, +1 (non-binding) from my side (if it wasn't clear from my email ).
> > I agree that anyone following the dev list will have a chance to sign-up
> > for the new list, basically that's all old users have to do. Maybe
> > delete/modify some filters.
> > And anyone "semi-following" the ZK thread, I figure doing nothing (not
> > signing up for the new list) is fine, as they are mostly interested in
> user
> > emails, votes etc., and those email will remain in the current list.
> >
> > But of course I can only speak for myself, and this sounds like a good
> idea
> > to me.
> >
> > On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 9:31 PM Lars Francke <lars.francke@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> re: existing users
> >> I'd expect they read this mailing list, and if they do they should see
> the
> >> announcement that things change and need to re-subscribe, if they don't
> >> follow the list anyway then...well nothing really lost.
> >> I understand the concern but I'm afraid there's nothing we can do
> there. I
> >> don't think it's trivial to automatically subscribe people to a new
> list,
> >> we'd need to ask INFRA if it's even possible.
> >>
> >> re: new users: Yes, as a new subscriber it's definitely VERY
> overwhelming
> >> (especially the gitbox mails) and it's also nowadays almost unexpected
> >> because most other projects (at least the ones I follow) have the
> >> separation of mailing lists already
> >>
> >> On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 6:28 PM Norbert Kalmar

but am

> >> mailing
it.

and all Jira