zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Norbert Kalmar <nkal...@cloudera.com.INVALID>
Subject [Suggestion] Use Co-authored-by in commit messages
Date Wed, 08 May 2019 09:09:27 GMT
Hi Devs,

I've got this idea from HBase.
So: when there is a patch that is abandoned by its original author for any
reason, and it can no longer be merged, someone comes by, and asks to
continue to work on it. Usually the reply is to use the change freely or no
reply at all. Either way, what people end up doing is a new pull request,
and (correct me if I'm wrong) we do not have a standardized method how to
indicate, or even to indicate at all the original author.

My proposal is to use github's feature of Co-author, which is a way of
attributing multiple authors of a given commit. See more details here:
https://help.github.com/en/articles/creating-a-commit-with-multiple-authors

I wouldn't think this needs to be forced or anything on future PRs, but
it's a nice thing to have. And if someone sees an old patch, this could
give more incentive to continue to work on it, knowing there's a guideline
in the HowToContribute guide to credit him/her.

I can update the guide at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/HowToContribute if
the reception is positive.

Regards,