zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Flavio Junqueira <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Request for review & contribution of Apache Training
Date Sat, 27 Apr 2019 15:10:02 GMT
This is great, Lars. Thanks for putting this together. I have some additional comments:

- I'd rather not characterize zookeeper as a key-value store, one reason being that to access
a znode we give a "path" and not a "key". I don't want to open this up to a discussion on
what a key-value store actually is, but I typically say that it is a hierarchy of znodes and
explain what a znode is (Slide 2). If it is early to talk about znodes, then say hierarchy
of simple data files.
- It would be nice to have a slide illustrating how to get going with zookeeper, like starting
a server with `bin/zkServer.sh start` and using the `bin/zkCli.sh` to issue some commands.
- In Slide 8, the statement saying that "in an ensemble we always have a single leader" isn't
accurate. I think you want to say something along the lines of "in an ensemble there is at
most on leader server supported by a majority of followers".

Thanks again for the initiative.

-Flavio