zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From "Justin Ling Mao" <maoling199210...@sina.com>
Subject Re: Prometheus.io endpoint vs admin server
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2019 06:30:27 GMT
@Enrico1.  --->"bind '/metrics' to the current "Admin server"" What do you mean is the JettyAdminServer´╝č
which is enable and binding to default port:8080?
2.  Is the following a good option?e.g:http://<hostname>:8080/commands/metricsor:http://<hostname>:8080/metrics

----- Original Message -----
From: Enrico Olivelli <eolivelli@gmail.com>
To: DevZooKeeper <dev@zookeeper.apache.org>
Subject: Prometheus.io endpoint vs admin server
Date: 2019-04-24 07:27

Hi,
I am working on Prometheus endpoint.
Prometheus client needs to expose an HTTP service, usually it is
mapped at /metrics, the Prometheus serve polls that endpoint
periodically in order to store metrics inside its local database.
We have two ways:
1) bind '/metrics' to the current "Admin server"
2) let the MetricsProvider open another http endpoint
I see value in both of the two approaches.
Approach 1): No new ports, so more "secure" ? more user-friendly ?
Approach 2): If I am not an user of the HTTP Admin Server I would need
to fully enable it if I want to integrate with Prometheus, so a
separate endpoint would be better for me.
In Apache BookKeeper we have all of the two options available (bind to
standard http admin endpoint or start a separate http endpoint)
I would like to see the option of the community.
I am open to any of the two and even to having both of them.
Regards
Enrico