zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Norbert Kalmar <nkal...@cloudera.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Mavenized Zookeeper Roadmap
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2019 09:13:19 GMT
Hi all,

When maven migration started, I created a google docs that planned the
migration (
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WXqhaPlCwchcWc8RCEzbCmVa4WbBDlfR3GQngikGjqc/edit?usp=sharing
). It was open for suggestions, and there are quite some comments on it.
Anyway, the idea was something like:
- To keep backports easy for 3.4, we migrate to maven, but keep ant for
build
- 3.5 is not stable yet, so moving to maven build should be OK (same for
master obviously)

So keep ant in 3.4 and drop it in 3.5 and master. The docs do state
somewhere that it might be a good idea to keep both for a while, but since
we have concluded it would be a nightmare, keeping them in sync.

What will change compared to ant build?
- Modularized artifacts in maven central - org.apache.zookeeper:zookeeper
should still work as a dependency, it will get everything - I will test
this before the 3.5 release, once release doc is finalized.
- Two tarballs: buildable source only, and a "convenience" tar, having the
runtime jars. I also tested these, of course I will test again after
finalized release. Plus, I will also double check for license files and
jars included, as we had some issues about that.

So, to summarize, +1 (non-binding) on:
- keep ant for 3.4, I don't think it's worth making the transition, soon
3.5 will be the active branch anyway
- drop ant and ivy on 3.5(.5) and onwards.

Regards,
Norbert