zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Norbert Kalmar <nkal...@cloudera.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Remove ant build from master branch
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2019 08:27:33 GMT
Hi,

Good question. On one hand, it would be kind of strange to see ant
disappear in a minor release, so keeping ant on 3.4 and 3.5 makes sense.
On the other hand, it is always very prone to errors having to maintain 2
parallel things while making sure both works, and as Enrico mentioned,
produces the same(ish) results.
And if we do not want to drop ant, it will be harder to implement some
maven features, or rather it would be much more work to do so, knowing you
have to make sure it works in ant too.

I definitely agree on dropping ant on 3.6, and while it would be good to
drop it on 3.5 and 3.4, I don't think either that we can do that.

So I agree with you Tamas (and also with Enrico, that it will be a pain to
maintain the two build parallel, but dropping ant is a huge backward
compatibility break).

Regards,
Norbert