zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Norbert Kalmar <nkal...@cloudera.com.INVALID>
Subject Maven assembly
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2019 10:44:40 GMT
Hi Devs!

I uploaded the PR for the assembly. I tried to recreate the tarball ant
does, as the initial statement was to recreate the tarball as much as
possible. But maven has its own build mechanism, which works well with
Apache release standards.

As Enrico pointed out to me, Apache top-level pom (parent of ZooKeeper top
parent pom) has some plugins already configured, like gpg. I checked the
pom (
https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/apache/17/apache-17.pom )
and it also has an assembly. I couldn't find the descriptor (
src/main/assemblies/source-release.xml ) so not sure what it does.

But my main question is, what do You think, what should the maven release
have as an output?
Should we ditch the tarball ant produced (which, by the way, isn't exactly
what Apache defines as a release artifact) and go with the separate maven
jar artifacts (uploaded to central repo) + buildable only-source package?

Or also keep the tarball ant produced? (Directories have changed of course
in the tarball, so not 100% backward compatible).

I know I said in the initial docs we will keep the tarball, but now that we
are in the finish line of the migration, I also lean towards doing the
release tha "maven way" and just package up the buildable resource.

What's your take on the topic?

Thanks,
Norbert