zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Norbert Kalmar <nkal...@cloudera.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: ZooKeeper 3.5 blocker issues
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2018 15:44:01 GMT
Thank you Enrico, I agree, that we could commit this patch at it's current
state, it fulfills the original jira anyways.

I'll see what's wrong with the java tests, but honestly, it looks like
they're just flaky... runs well on local builds with 8 thread.

Regards,
Norbert

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 2:50 PM Tamas Penzes <tamaas@cloudera.com.invalid>
wrote:

> [...]
> within ZooKeeper the same way. ;-)
>
> Regards, Tamaas
>
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 2:28 PM Enrico Olivelli <eolivelli@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Great work Norbert
> > I you want I can help,especially for rat, findbugs (need to switch to
> > spotbugs anyway) and OWASP stuff (recently I started using Maven
> > Plugin in other projects)
> > But I am not sure how can I help you concretely if we do not commit your
> > work.
> > We could commit the work as it is now, leaving "ant" as official build
> > method, but having the poms committed will ease collaboration.
> >
> > We will also have to work on CI jobs, I can help on that part as well
> >
> > Enrico
> >
> > Il giorno mer 19 dic 2018 alle ore 12:26 Norbert Kalmar
> > <nkalmar@cloudera.com.invalid> ha scritto:
> > >
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > Some update on the maven migration: I had a few bumps here and there
> > (just
> > > looking at the latest patch Andor linked -
> > > https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/708 - you can see on the
> > commits).
> > > Current state is that the build works, tests run, but reports like
> > > findbugs, clover etc. are not yet implemented. Maven has plugins for
> them
> > > usually, but it's not always trivial, especially with the C client. The
> > > assembly is also left to be done, but it should be fairly easy to do a
> > > similar tarball then ant does (although this will be also an
> interesting
> > > task, as ant does some strange things, like duplicated sources of most
> > > contrib projects).
> > >
> > > I had a seperate jira to do the recipes and contrib maven build. I do
> not
> > > have open PR for it, but recipes is done and I am now working on the
> > > contrib projects. Most of them is manually build and never gets called
> > from
> > > the main build.xml. I will not integrate these either to the maven
> build.
> > > The reason is that there are plans to remove some of them from ZK repo
> > > anyway. The other reason is that for starters, we want to replicate the
> > ant
> > > build as closely as possible, without doing any nasty workarounds in
> > maven
> > > to achieve that. And from there, we can improve, use maven's advantages
> > > shape the build of ZooKeeper. Once it is stable and proven to have all
> > the
> > > functionality required for build and release.
> > >
> > > Right now, I am trying to stabilize the build as much as possible.
> Andor
> > > also fixed some flaky C tests that for some strange reasons, become
> > > extremely flaky with the maven build:
> > > https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/740
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Norbert
> > >
> > > On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 9:52 AM Andor Molnar

PR:

> > hopefully I

> 3.5's
> > share.

> lvfangmin@gmail.com>

> > one

> andor@apache.org>

> > Jira.
> > 3.5

> fixVersion
> > =
DESC,
> > key ASC

> be

> > already
> > or

> > issues
> > sync
to Maven
> (ongoing)

as far as I
> can

> > Migrate
Since the
> > migration
ZK 3.5.x GA.

> be a
> > documentation.

Lv <
> > lvfangmin@gmail.com

provide more
> context.

followers to if the
> > peer
code is here: Leader on
> > disk
> > > > > > >>>>>>

> https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/blob/master/src/java/main/org/apache/zookeeper/server/quorum/LearnerHandler.java#L774
will be gap in the txn
the peer will miss
> > txns
> > > > > > >>>>>>

> https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/blob/master/src/java/main/org/apache/zookeeper/server/ZKDatabase.java#L81
On 3.5, it's
> better
have more SNAP sync,
> but
to me.

it by default on 3.5 if
> > you

Molnar <
> > andor@apache.org>
a config option?
for that and turn it
> > off by
on disk txn sync.

Fangmin Lv <
> > lvfangmin@gmail.com>

is actually just one
> case
> > of
txn sync, as I mentioned
> in
also leave txns gap in the
> txn
this issue.

the on disk txn sync by
> > default
finished ZOOKEEPER-3114, we
> > can use
syncing.

AM Fangmin Lv <

adding real time digest
> checking
feature with amounts of code
but I don't expect it's being
a nice to have, but definitely
> > not a

2:55 AM Andor Molnar <

that you want to include the
which is fine. Let’s finish the
> > backports

a new feature, I
> wouldn’t

at 11:52, Andor Molnar <
> > andor@apache.org

the clarification.

is as follows:

(SSL/TLS support for Atomic Broadcast
(Fix don't care for trunk)
(Potential server deadlock between
receiving external connection
> > requests.)
not critical and no blockers for
> the
be ported to 3.5:

(fixes ZOOKEEPER-2184 too)

12., at 0:42, Fangmin Lv <

on disk txn feature, which was disabled
inconsistent issue. The only
for the new digest checking feature I
> > mentioned

are some other critical consistent
> > issues we
ZOOKEEPER-3104, ZOOKEEPER-3125,
that in the official 3.5 release as
> > well.

11, 2018 at 11:58 AM Andor Molnár <

for letting me know. I'm happy to remove it
> > from
to a stable release. :)

the feature which can be disabled to avoid

11:33 PM, Mohamed Jeelani wrote:
> [...]
Andor for compiling this. Should we be
> > ignoring
exists in 3.4 as well and the feature
> can
> > be
on a longer term fix for it in 3.6.

9/10/18, 5:19 AM, "Andor Molnar"

happy to ignore 1549, 2846 and 2930. Still we
> > have
(SSL/TLS support for Atomic
> > Broadcast
(Fix don't care for trunk)
(txnlog diff sync can skip
> sending
> > some
(Potential server deadlock
> between
and follower receiving external connection

(ZK-236) is a feature which essential for the
> > 3.5
leave it out or postpone it for the next
> > stable
out for a long time, get on reviewing please.
rest are also long outstanding issues which
> have
is something which was found in 3.4 and
> > fixed in
fixed in 3.5. Quite a serious issue if still

we should at least run some manual testing
> > and
any of these issues before going ahead with

Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 3:24 AM, Michael Han <

I haven't went through the entire list, but looks
> > like

issues listed in this thread, such as
> > ZOOKEEPER-1549,

3.4 releases. Should we scope these issues out?

I think historically the single outstanding
> > blocking
3.5

release is the reconfig feature and security
> > concerns

addressed in ZOOKEEPER-2014), and the alpha and
> > beta

to stabilize that feature.

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__zookeeper-2Duser.578899.n2.nabble.com_Zookeeper-2Dwith-2D&d=DwIBaQ&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=Vl4oKanLQehvaulUvoKg8A&m=wqlhnot9c-pQLdkGkccSGNpELUNUnB-wy_h0iA3PRqI&s=_tGtL3nMWtuPrXKXDx27AIWOzyyT7W-CjIVLDFZwT0E&e=

SSL-release-date-tt7581744.html

So it looks like we are in good shape to release.

doing to claim the quality of 3.5 is on par with
> > 3.4

* Run Jepsen on 3.5 - 3.4 passed the test for the

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__aphyr.com_posts_291-2Djepsen-2Dzookeeper&d=DwIBaQ&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=Vl4oKanLQehvaulUvoKg8A&m=wqlhnot9c-pQLdkGkccSGNpELUNUnB-wy_h0iA3PRqI&s=VjORkX5s7hrJyl8mW9Q4cfeSWF4qfTdyRjcuAiBt0y4&e=

* Fix all flaky tests on 3.5 - 3.4 has little or
> no

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 1:48 AM, Andor Molnar

wrote:

Thanks Maoling! That would be huge help, I
> > appreciate

Andor