zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Shraer <shra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: question about approach to take
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2018 15:46:42 GMT
I also wanted to get other's views on this.

My opinion is that the current server configuration format
(server.x=ip:port:port:role;ip:port) has run its course. There are multiple
proposals for additions/changes to the server configuration,
that would be simplified from having a more extensible format, such as a
json blob, as proposed by Brian Nixon here:
It is true that such an extension hasn't happened yet, however it may not
be a good idea to continue adding individual features to the existing
format instead of making this change.

For longer than a year, maybe more, I've seen features pushed out to 3.6 to
avoid destabilizing the 3.5 release. If we follow the same logic here, this
would be a 3.6 feature, so compatibility with the old format doesn't seem
very important.

What do others think ?

Thanks,
Alex