zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Enrico Olivelli <eolive...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Glide path to getting 3.5.x out of beta
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2018 07:55:44 GMT
Great work Michael,

I am totally +1 on using docker for network isolation

I think that Apache CI may allow out-of-the-box execution in Docker
containers, in fact we have the "CloudBees Docker Custom Build
Environment Plugin"
We can use a public image or provide on the repo a Dockerfile.

In my company we are taking another approach, we launch a script which
sets up the container(s) and that run the tests.

The former approach (built in jenkins) is easy to try, the latter is
more complex but maybe you already have some script,
but our automatic QA script is quite complex and needs a lot of third party tool

when we will be on Maven we would not need external findbugs,forrest,ant.....

${ANT_HOME}/bin/ant \
        -Dpatch.file=foobar \
        -Dscratch.dir=$PATCH_DIR \
        -Dps.cmd=/bin/ps \
        -Dwget.cmd=/usr/bin/wget \
        -Djiracli.cmd=/home/jenkins/tools/jiracli/latest/jira.sh \
        -Dgit.cmd=/usr/bin/git \
        -Dgrep.cmd=/bin/grep \
        -Dpatch.cmd=/usr/bin/patch \
        -Dfindbugs.home=/home/jenkins/tools/findbugs/latest/ \
        -Dforrest.home=/home/jenkins/tools/forrest/latest/ \
        -Djira.passwd=no-shown-here \
        -Djava5.home=/home/jenkins/tools/java5/latest/ \
        -Dcurl.cmd=/usr/bin/curl \
        -Dtest.junit.maxmem=2g \
        qa-test-pullrequest

I am not a committer, but I have write access to Apache CI, so if
ZooKeeper PMCs agree on trying the docker config on the CI jobs I will
be happy to try

Enrico

Il giorno gio 29 nov 2018 alle ore 06:27 Michael K. Edwards
<m.k.edwards@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> [...]
> ... OK
>     [junit]  [26094@1f20a9d731ad] Ran [30.067]
> org.apache.zookeeper.server.quorum.StandaloneDisabledTest:startObserver
> ... OK
>     [junit]  [18406@1f20a9d731ad] Ran [29.979]
> org.apache.zookeeper.server.quorum.QuorumPeerMainTest:testQuorumPeerExitTime
> ... OK
>     [junit]  [22552@1f20a9d731ad] Ran [29.419]
> org.apache.zookeeper.server.quorum.ReconfigFailureCasesTest:testObserverToParticipantConversionFails
> ... OK
>     [junit]  [9698@1f20a9d731ad] Ran [28.838]
> org.apache.zookeeper.server.ZxidRolloverTest:testRolloverThenRestart
> ... OK
>     [junit]  [18406@1f20a9d731ad] Ran [28.075]
> org.apache.zookeeper.server.quorum.QuorumPeerMainTest:testInconsistentDueToNewLeaderOrder
> ... OK
>     [junit]  [44264@1f20a9d731ad] Ran [27.39]
> org.apache.zookeeper.test.ReconfigTest:testRemoveAddTwo ... OK
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 7:41 AM Michael K. Edwards
> <m.k.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks!  I assigned 2778 to myself.
> >
> > ZOOKEEPER-2778:  A port to the master branch of the current state of
> > my patch is in https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/719.  Be aware
> > that there are a couple of touches to the code needed in 3.5 that
> > aren't needed in master:
> > https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/707/files#diff-7a209d890686bcba351d758b64b22a7dR413
> > and https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/707/files#diff-b2dd09c58f745da275fee3c6d8681503R974
> > (both of these are obviated by cleanups that have taken place on
> > master).
> >
> > ZOOKEEPER-1636:  By "clean" I just mean "in isolation"; previously I
> > had stacked this patch in a branch on top of the 2778 work.
> >
> > ZOOKEEPER-1818:  PR #714 is a port of Fangmin's patch to 3.5 (which
> > split off before the refactor from termCondition to getVoteTracker).
> > PR #718 is Fangmin's patch unchanged, just cherry-picked onto current
> > master and poked until we got a green Jenkins build.
> >
> > "Address already in use":
> > https://builds.apache.org/job/PreCommit-ZOOKEEPER-github-pr-build/2708/consoleText
> > (search for BindException).  You generally have to look at the raw
> > consoleText in order to find these.  I don't see any way of getting at
> > the untruncated text for
> > https://builds.apache.org/job/ZooKeeper_branch35_jdk8/1195/testReport/junit/org.apache.zookeeper.server.quorum/StandaloneDisabledTest/startSingleServerTest/
> > , but I suspect there's a similar BindException hidden inside
> > "...[truncated 395348 chars]..."
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 1:50 AM Andor Molnar <andor@apache.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Michael,
> > >
> > > I added you to the contributors list in Jira, now you can assign tickets to
yourself.

> > > 3.5
> > > ~~~
> > > ZOOKEEPER-2778 - I already accepted the patch, but I’d like to kindly ask
you to create a separate pull request for the master branch which I can backport to 3.5 after
committing it. This will help us follow the standard procedure of making changes.

> > > ZOOKEEPER-1636 - Thanks for picking it up, I’ll review your patch shortly.
Btw I’m not sure what do you mean by “clean” pull request.

> > > ZOOKEEPER-1818 - This issue is already taken care by Fangmin (PR #703), why
have you created the new PR?

> > > Flakies
> > > ~~~~~~~
> > > We’re already aware of the downside of PortAssignment class, but haven’t
really seen too many "Address already in use” problems in tests. (Except in Java 11 builds,
but those are unrelated) Would you please provide some evidence about your findings with links
to builds that you’re talking about and specific error messages?

> > > Thanks,
> > > Andor

answer, but I believe the best approach is to deal with one problem at a time. Especially
in email communication is not ideal to mix different topics, because it makes things hard
to follow.

There's another thread btw I usually update every so often, but your list is pretty much accurate
too. I use the following query for 3.5 blockers:

= 3.5.5 AND priority in (blocker, critical) ORDER BY priority DESC, key ASC

should assign the Jira to yourself to avoid somebody else picking it up.
in Jira. I'm planning to rebase it on master, but didn't have a chance yet.

Here's the umbrella Jira that I've created to track the progress:

you think it's necessary. It's generally better to open individual Jiras for every issue you're
working on and discuss the details in it. You can open an email thread too, if you feel convenient,
but Jira is preferred.

master -> Backport to 3.5/3.4 if necessary -> Close Jira.

Jenkins
SSL

and the time that it

Address