zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <tdunn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: improving tolerance to network failures
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2018 16:34:57 GMT
There have been several comments on the document. I will be porting discussions from the document
back to the mailing list each day.

Alex Shraer makes a good point that with the design as stated, there is no provision for dealing
with the rebalancing of client connections during dynamic reconfiguration. I am very curious
whether this needs to be addressed in the design since it seems that if connections are redirected,
the same connection logic should apply. I suppose the text needs an update, regardless, even
if there is no effect. But is there something I missed here? Will there be a code effect?

Another comment points out that if you don't have symmetrical hardware for the servers (i.e.
more network interfaces on some), then client connections are likely to be more numerous on
servers with more network connections. This is undoubtedly true.

I have a question, however, about this. Is this situation actually important enough to make
the first version of this change? My own experience is that production settings typically
involve Zookeeper servers with very consistent hardware where this would not be an issue.

What experience do others have, particularly in production situations?