zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Java version (Oracle - OpenJDK) support
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2018 17:29:54 GMT
On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 1:52 AM Andor Molnar <andor@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi team,
>
> Let me quickly summarise what we’re trying to resolve on this thread.
>
> Problem #1: due to Oracle licensing changes people are expected to move
> away from Oracle Java and support of other “open” Java implementations will
> become important for ZooKeeper.
>
> Problem #2: Java 8 support will end in September 2018, we have to add
> support for Java 11 (LTS). Java 9 and 10 support are nice-to-haves, because
> those are not LTS releases.
>
> branch-3.4 (stable version):
> From Jenkins this is currently the most stable version (kudos for the hard
> work with flaky tests).
> Problem: Java 11 build is failing due to Kerberos tests.
> Solution: Backport Kerberos tests from 3.5
>
> I think there’s no need to change Java support on branch-3.4 or it’s not
> scope of this conversation.
>
> branch-3.5 (upcoming stable version):
> Problem: there’s no Java 11 build currently
> Solution: create new Jenkins job
>
> branch-3.6 (master):
> Problem: Java 11 build is constantly failing
> Solution: no solution provided yet
>
> A few more thoughts:
> - We don’t necessarily need to add Java 11 support for branch-3.4. I think
> it would be better to push people towards upgrading to 3.5 and focus on
> making it stable as soon as possible. (See the other thread for details -
> we’re getting close)

Until the downstream projects (those using ZK) update to post-3.4 many
users will be forced to keep 3.4. Given 3.4 is currently the stable branch
and it's unknown when 3.5 will reach the same level of maturity, and Oracle
forcing the issue re JDK licensing, I don't think this will be feasible for
many users.

Patrick