zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Enrico Olivelli <eolive...@gmail.com>
Subject MetricsProvider Plan
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2018 14:41:09 GMT
Hi,
I would like to share the plan for  the new "Pluggable metrics system for
ZooKeeper" [1]

Currently on master we have the MetricsProvider API and the management for
the lifecycle of the MetricsProvider (start/stop/configuration....).

Next immediate steps, which can run concurrently:
- Implement a first "provider" (Prometheus.io)
- Integrate the code with the new system

There is an ongoing activity from Facebook guys to back port all of the
metrics they added in their private fork "Implement additional server
metrics" [2]

My proposal is to wait for the integration of [2] and then proceed with the
integration with Metrics Providers.
I think that it would be better that Allan Liu or Joseph (or some other guy
from Facebook) drive this migration.

In the meantime I will work on the implementation of the Prometheus provider

An important point is to decide how to support 'legacy' 4lw commands, my
idea would be to implement a "FourLettersWordsMetricsProvider" which
collects data and serves metrics to the legacy endpoint.

Thoughts ?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-3092
[2] https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/580

Enrico