zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Norbert Kalmar <nkal...@cloudera.com.INVALID>
Subject [SUGGESTION] Jute's place in the new directory structure
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2018 14:59:12 GMT
Hi folks,

So jute is a little bit the odd one out in ZooKeeper. It was pulled out of
Hadoop and it evolved independently since with ZooKeeper. And it has its
own namespace in ZK: org.apache.jute beside org.apache.zookeeper.

For me, this is a bit odd, it suggests its a top level apache project.
The original plan in the maven migration was to move jute to simply in a
"jute" top level directory in zookeeper. Like this:

zookeeper | -bin | -conf | -jute | -zookeeper-client | -zookeeper-contrib |
-zookeeper-docs | -zookeeper-it (integration tests) | -zookeeper-server |
-zookeeper-recipes

But this just seems a bit strange to me. I was thinking of possibly moving
into recipes, but then again, I ended up thinking it could still get its
own top level directory, but with the name "zookeeper-jute", as this
particular project is only used by ZooKeeper (of course I would keep the
package name intact).

What do you think?
As this is a change that was not in the initial doc about maven migration,
I thought it's best to ask.

Regards,
Norbert

p.s.: The best thing would be to use a more standardized library for
serialization like protobuf or Avro. But that's just a distant dream right
now, maybe ZooKeeper v5.0 ;)