zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Andor Molnar <an...@cloudera.com>
Subject ZK-3034 Unable to compile C++ test files with cppunit-1.14.0
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2018 13:18:47 GMT
Hi devs,

I'm having problems resolving the issue mentioned in this Jira and need
some feedback from you:

In a nutshell the situation with *cppunit* is as follows:
LibreOffice team confirmed that from version *1.14.0* they will no longer
ship m4 macro definitions in cppunit releases. They encourage everybody to
use *pkg-config* instead in order to generate configure script and
Makefile. By the way, this is not a new thing, it was supported even before
1.14.0.  So basically, they no longer support both tools, only pkg-config.

So, in order to support building and running C++ tests on recent
distributions with cppunit-1.14.0 like Ubuntu 18.04, Fedora, etc., we have
to switch to *pkg-config*.

*Backward compatibility*
pkg-config is going to be a new dependency of the C client which we need to
add to the documentation near to autoconf 2.59 requirement. On the flipside
we can remove the requirement of cppunit.m4.

Another thing we can do is to maintain two different configure.ac scripts
from now on: one for cppunit.m4 and another one for pkg-config which is
going to be the default. We also have to describe in the documentation why
we made that change and how to revert to the m4 version if needed.

The way it's currently implemented in the following pull request has been
tested and works on Ubuntu 14.04, 18.04 and CentOS 7 as long as pkg-config
is installed.

https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/528

Please share your thoughts and review the changes.

Thanks,
Andor