zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Updates to release mechanics
Date Fri, 11 May 2018 20:23:29 GMT
Hi folks. This is mainly for committers and RMs:

TLDR: committers can now commit while RCs are pending.

Historically we haven't allowed changes to be committed to the source repo
while release candidates were outstanding. This was due to our release
mechanics not branching for point releases - if subsequent release
candidates were needed it would have pulled in any such commits w/o
discretion.

I've updated the release process documentation
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/HowToRelease+using+git
to now include a step for branching the point release. This will allow the
RM to create further RCs as necessary while not blocking commits on the
major/minor code lines.

If you have been an RM in the past please take a look at the updated docs,
specifically steps 2 & 3 of "Updating the release branch", and let me know
if you have any concerns/questions.

Regards,

Patrick