zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Andor Molnar <an...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Name resolution in StaticHostProvider
Date Tue, 08 May 2018 14:06:31 GMT
Hi,

Updating this thread, because the PR is still being review on GitHub.

So, the reason why I refactored the original behaviour of
StaticHostProvider is that I believe that it's trying to do something which
is not its responsibility. Please tell me if there's a good historical
reason for that.

My approach is giving the user the following to options:
1- Use static IP addresses, if you don't want to deal with DNS resolution
at all - we guarantee that no DNS logic will involved in this case at all.
2- Use DNS hostnames if you have a reliable DNS service for resolution
(with HA, secondary servers, backups, etc.) - we must use DNS in the right
way in this case e.g. do NOT cache IP address for a longer period that DNS
server allows to and re-resolve after TTL expries, because it's mandatory
by protocol.

My 2 cents here:
- the fix which was originally posted for re-resolution is a workaround and
doesn't satisfy the requirement for #2,
- the solution is already built-in in JDK and DNS clients in the right way
- can't see a reason why we shouldn't use that

I checked this in some other projects as well and found very similar
approach in hadoop-common's SecurityUtil.java. It has 2 built-in plugins
for that:
- Standard resolver uses java's built-in getByName().
- Qualified resolver still uses getByName(), but adds some logic to avoid
incorrect re-resolutions and reverse IP lookups.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards,
Andor