zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Camille Fournier <cami...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for reworked ZK web site generation: CMS -> jekyll
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2017 13:00:02 GMT
+1 good idea to get this modernized thanks pat

On Nov 30, 2017 2:17 AM, "Patrick Hunt" <phunt@apache.org> wrote:

Hi folks. After the issues a few weeks ago during the 3.4.11 release trying
to get the site published and INFRA no longer supporting CMS I've gone
through the effort to look at what other options are available. I reviewed
a number of other ASF sites and it looks like jekyll with markdown is very
popular. Additionally INFRA is currently supporting gitpubsub - which means
that if we can generate a static site and commit the results to git INFRA
will take that and update the live production site. Basic workflow would
then be:

1) manually edit the markdown pages which are the source of the website
(similar to what we do today)
2) generate the static website using jekyll, review this as the "staged"
site (locally)
3) once we're happy with it commit/push the changes to the markdown source
4) commit/push the changes to the generated/static site content - gitpubsub
will then push those live to zookeeper.apache.org.

This is pretty close to what we are doing today as part of a release but
it's streamlined and takes CMS out of the equation (the old content
management which is no longer supported by INFRA).

I've converted the current website over to this new model and staged the
change in my personal github repo. Please take a look as I'd like to move
over to this new model soon - let's say about a week from today for
feedback.

Any committers out there please give this a +1 if you're on board - otw let
me know your concerns.

This would be the source of the website, markdown/jekyll based:
https://github.com/phunt/zookeeper/tree/website

This is the generated site (html) - pushing this branch would cause asf
INFRA to re-publish the site (gitpubsub):
https://github.com/phunt/zookeeper/tree/asf-site

Notice these are orphan branches (no history aside from the recent docs
changes) and both of these branches would live within the existing/current
zookeeper git repo. So if you clone the zookeeper repo you'll have the
website as well - no longer necessary to checkout multiple repos in order
to update the website.

Patrick