zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: separate zookeeper client tools from server
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2017 18:12:52 GMT
On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 12:25 AM, Nicolas Franck <Nicolas.Franck@ugent.be>
wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Zookeeper is now delivered as one download, containing both the server and
> the client tools.
> So all yum/debian packages do the same.
>
> I created a zookeeper ensemble, with a zookeeper instance on each host.
> From one managing server I want to send znodes to all of the zookeeper
> instances.
>
> But in order to do that, I need to install ... zookeeper on that managing
> server.
> Wouldn't it be better to split both packages into a server part and a
> client part?

I suspect the main/original reason is that ZK install was pretty small, as
such there was never a strong demand to split them. Additionally things
like the command line shell use the client API. Most administrators want to
have the client available on server machines. That said the opposite is
probably not true (you typically don't need the server code on clients).

Patrick