zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject FYI: Apache Jenkins being updated in 2 weeks.
Date Thu, 29 Jun 2017 16:25:41 GMT
I noticed this on the builds@ list. Sounds like it will affect us:

tldr; In just over 2 weeks, downtime for a migration AND upgrade is planned.

also "This is a major release and breaks Jenkins in terms of Maven jobs for
JDK 7 in the same way that it happened for Maven and JDK 6 a few months
back."

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 12:03 AM, Gavin McDonald <gavin@16degrees.com.au>
wrote:
> ASF Jenkins Master Migration and Upgrade on :-
>

> Location                                                Local Time
                                       Time Zone       UTC Offset
> Melbourne (Australia - Victoria)        Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 10:00:00
am     AEST            UTC+10 hours
> New York (USA - New York)               Saturday, 15 July 2017 at 8:00:00
pm    EDT                     UTC-4 hours
> Corresponding UTC (GMT)         Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 00:00:00
>

> Hi All,
>
> A few things are going to happen in just over 2 weeks.
>
> 1. Migration of Jenkins to a new host. A Jenkins Master module and yaml
have been puppetized and ready to go.
>     What we need to do to migrate the Master away from its current host
is turn off the old service. Perform a final
>     rsync of data and perform the migration tasks.
>
>     As we intend to preserve history for jobs this will take some time.
>     At the same time as doing this migration to a new host, all slave
connections will be updated (see below.)
>     I have no current estimate of downtime, but it will run into several
hours. We do plan to run this migration on a
>     Sunday at the lowest part of Jenkins usual usage.
>
> 2. Upgrade of Jenkins - Jenkins project released a new LTS release,
version 2.60.1. This is a major release and breaks
>     Jenkins in terms of Maven jobs for JDK 7 in the same way that it
happened for Maven and JDK 6 a few months back.

>     The infra team (mainly myself) got quite some feedback on not
supplying advance notice of this breakage. That upgrade
>     however was necessary due to security fixes that required our
upgrade.  This email serves as advance warning of the
>     upcoming upgrade of Jenkins, the downtime due to the migration of the
service to a new host; and notice of the breakage
>     to JDK 7 that the upgrade brings.
>
>     Please familiarise yourself with the Jenkins LTS upgrade notes at [1].
>     In particular please note:-
>
>     “…2.60.1 is the first Jenkins LTS release that requires Java 8 to
run. If you're using the Maven Project type, please note that it needs to
use a JDK capable of running Jenkins, i.e. JDK 8 or up. If you configure an
older JDK in a Maven Project, Jenkins will attempt to find a newer JDK and
use that automatically. If your SSH Slaves fail to start and you have the
plugin install the JRE to run them, make sure to update SSH Slaves Plugin
to at least version 1.17 (1.20 recommended).
> Changes since 2.60:
> Fix for NullPointerException while initiating some SSH connections
(regression in 2.59). (issue 44120 <
https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-44120>)
https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-27624> <>, issue 42709 <
https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-42709> <>, pull 2802 <
https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/pull/2802>, announcement blog post <
https://jenkins.io/blog/2017/04/10/jenkins-has-upgraded-to-java-8/>)

> …”
>
> There are over 30 other enhancements/fixes since 2.46.2 which we
currently run so please do take a note of those.

builds@apache.org> only.