zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick White <pwh...@fb.com>
Subject Ever considered using buck to build?
Date Fri, 05 May 2017 20:51:25 GMT
Howdy! I'm Patrick from the core systems team at Facebook, and I work on ZooKeeper and ZooKeeper
accessories all day long.

Proposal: I want to add BUCK files to the zookeeper source tree.

Hear me out:

TL; DR - I want to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions on the matter.

At Facebook, we use buck (buckbuild.com) to build everything. Buck turns out to be a really
nice build system. It's easy to set up and super fast. I love buck.

Ben put together some nice BUCK files that we use internally to build zookeeper and zkcli.
Since we're already working to sync back with upstream, we'd love to get them in.

Pros:

Buck files are a lot easier to work with than maven, ant, or anything else

Buck's fast

These files do absolutely nothing for or against people who want to use maven or ant

'java_binary' generates a single executable file containing all the jars

Cons:

Not one of the "conventional" java build systems

BUCK files laying around are just trash for people not interested in them

Doesn't currently generate the typical layout of bin, conf, share, etc.

  - *currently*, it could probably be done

Thanks,

Patrick