zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Flavio Junqueira <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FYI - zetcd: running ZooKeeper apps without ZooKeeper
Date Tue, 23 May 2017 10:33:02 GMT
Yeah, that's a good reference, thanks for starting the thread.

@phunt
I see a lot of systems trying to implement the API of others in the same space hoping that
they can make the migration easier. I feel that it isn't so much about us being a de facto
standard, but more about the widespread use. Another point is that some applications have
decided that they like etcd/Consul better, and they still need to have that pesky zookeeper
because of some other dependency, e.g., Kafka.

@jordan
I'm really interested in your observation about the Consul herding.  Could you elaborate on
the herding argument? Perhaps we should write a post about it...

-Flavio

> On 20 May 2017, at 18:44, Jordan Zimmerman <jordan@jordanzimmerman.com> wrote:
>
> I think they're trying to displace ZK for places that use things like Kafka too. They
can make the argument that you can install Hashicorp everything and get rid of having to manage
anything else. That said, both etcd and consul are more k/v stores than they are distributed
coordinators. I was playing around with Consul this past week and it's locking recipes are
far inferior to ZooKeeper, for example (it suffers serious herding when contending for a new
lock holder).