zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: What is the role of Zookeeper and its external Integration dependencies
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2017 13:48:32 GMT
Upendar,
You are asking questions about multiple projects on a mailing list only for one of them.
Your questions are also a bit confusing which is probably why no one has answered them yet.
I understand a bit about ZK, and kafka, but I am a storm committer so hopefully I can answer
some of your questions.
1)  The dependencies for ZK are called out in the pom.xml for the version you are using.

https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.zookeeper/zookeeper
For 3.4.10, the version you are asking about https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.zookeeper/zookeeper/3.4.10
lists several dependencies.   The client and the server are together in the same package
and there are some configuration options here too that control the usage of some dependencies.
As such I am not sure exactly which are required just for the client and what are just for
the server.  I do know that jline is just for the client and is not even a 100% requirement
there.

2) The role of ZK in storm is to store the current state of the cluster.  In the 1.x release
and above it also does leader election.  For Kafka the role is similar.  It holds the state
of the system, although I am not as familiar with the internals here.
As for providing a better use case to understand I am not sure at all what you mean.  ZK
is a fairly general purpose state store that is used by a lot of different projects in different
ways.  If you want to see some of what is possible look at http://curator.apache.org/ which
provides higher level APIs on top of ZK to do a lot of different useful things.
3) This is where I am not an expert.  The CVE you mentioned appears to be for a buffer overflow
in the C API.  I know storm only uses the java API so it should not be an issue for you.
I am not sure about kafka, but I suspect that it too does not use the C API.  You might want
to check on the kafka mailing list though.
If you just want to upgrade to 3.4.10, you probably can on the server side.  I believe that
all of the 3.4.x clients should be compatible with all of the 3.4.x servers, but you probably
want to test it out first to be sure it all appears to be working.  As for upgrading the
clients that is something you need to work with both storm and kafka to do.   For storm I
am not totally sure on 0.10 if zookeeper is shaded or not.  I don't think it is so you can
probably just replace the zookeeper jar in the lib directory on all of the nodes with the
new one.  But I don't know for sure.

- Bobby

On Thursday, April 20, 2017, 9:02:51 PM CDT, upendar devu <devulapalli8@gmail.com> wrote:Could
you please respond to my query. Thanks