zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Han <h...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: 3.5.3: alpha or beta?
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2017 16:50:35 GMT
Thanks Pat for the pointers. I haven't got as many replies as I expected
regarding this matter, but I had a private chat with Flavio and he is OK
with the idea. Just to provide more thoughts here before formalizing the
proposal:

Benefit of moving to beta:

* It's good to show steady progress after being in alpha state for a few
years.
* The previous blocking issue (ZOOKEEPER-2014) that prevents us locking
API, which is one of requirement of beta build (API lock), is fixed.
* Move to beta lays the foundation of heading towards a 3.5 stable release
as planned in the old thread a couple of years ago [3].

I don't see any big issue preventing us moving to beta, except quality wise
the current branch-3.5 still have open blocker issues (which got deferred
to 3.5.4) and flaky tests, which could be addressed in next beta release.

I'll start a vote thread shortly to formalize this.

--
Cheers
Michael.