zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From powell molleti <powell...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Patch for ZOOKEEPER-2184 feedback
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2017 06:23:13 GMT
Hi Michael,

I did look at it and I can attempt to rebase to it that should not be a problem but that again
the changes could undo most of it.
I am pointing to the comment:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-2184?focusedCommentId=15873730&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-15873730

Which quotes
"The ideal situation for the problematic scenario is that we resolve the host name every time
we try to connect to a server, but that would be a fairly fundamental change to how we resolve
addresses in ZooKeeper."

We can move this conversation to the Jira. I posted my changes after reading that comment
since I felt like these changes could address this issue or at-least is headed in that direction.

General idea is that we could let hostname resolution happen right before socket connect call.
If a customer never provided hostname perhaps it is incorrect to perform reverse name lookup
for it. If a customer did provided a hostname then perhaps it is incorrect to perform a reverse
name lookup using the address we resolved(for the given name) later on and use this instead
of the given hostname.

Please advise.

thanks
Powell.