zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Flavio Junqueira <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Patch for ZOOKEEPER-2184 feedback
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2017 09:56:41 GMT
I'd love to see ZK-2184 fixed. If you have come up with a PR, Powell, I'd be happy to have
a look and see if we can converge to a common set of changes.

Michael is right that there is already a PR there, so we would eventually need to decide whether
to make changes to it, drop or what.

-Flavio

> On 31 Mar 2017, at 07:23, powell molleti <powellm79@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Hi Michael,
>

> I did look at it and I can attempt to rebase to it that should not be a problem but that
again the changes could undo most of it.
> I am pointing to the comment:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-2184?focusedCommentId=15873730&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-15873730
>
> Which quotes
> "The ideal situation for the problematic scenario is that we resolve the host name every
time we try to connect to a server, but that would be a fairly fundamental change to how we
resolve addresses in ZooKeeper."

> We can move this conversation to the Jira. I posted my changes after reading that comment
since I felt like these changes could address this issue or at-least is headed in that direction.

> General idea is that we could let hostname resolution happen right before socket connect
call. If a customer never provided hostname perhaps it is incorrect to perform reverse name
lookup for it. If a customer did provided a hostname then perhaps it is incorrect to perform
a reverse name lookup using the address we resolved(for the given name) later on and use this
instead of the given hostname.