zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Rakesh Radhakrishnan <rake...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ZooKeeper 3.4.10 release discussion
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2017 16:02:00 GMT
Hi PMCs/committers,

It would be great to see feedback on the updated branching release
procedure mentioned in the cwiki page. How about publishing an initial
release candidate by following the new procedure, probably you all can
verify the RC-0 and do voting?

Thanks,
Rakesh

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 9:43 PM, Rakesh Radhakrishnan <rakeshr@apache.org>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've tried an attempt by converting all the applicable svn commands to git
> commands in "HowToRelease using git" cwiki page. Welcome comments, thanks!
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/
> HowToRelease+using+git
>
> Thanks,
> Rakesh
>
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 11:54 PM, Edward Ribeiro <edward.ribeiro@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> ​​
>> Hi Rakesh,
>>
>> I have comment on ZK-2622.
>>
>> Took a look at the 'HowToRelease' using git page and have one minor
>> comment:
>>
>> 2. "If not already done, merge desired patches from master into the branch
>> and commit these changes.
>> (...)
>> "
>>
>> AFAIK merging from master to branch-3.4 would bring all those changes in
>> master and try to apply them to branch-3.4. This usuallys leads to lots of
>> conflicts and is not desirable. What I usually see in Cassandra commit
>> history is merging upwards: 2.2 -> 3.0 -> 3.1 -> master so that changes
in
>> previous versions are
>> ​ported​ to
>>  further releases
>> ​: https://github.com/apache/cassandra/commits/trunk​
>>

>> So
>> ​,​
>> I would rephrase the "merge desired patches from master into branch and
>> commit those changes" to "cherry-pick desired commits from master into
>> branch". The act of merging/rebasing/cherry-picking auto commit the
>> changes
>> on the target branch. If you want to avoid doing that then have to resort
>> to things like this:
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8640887/git-merge-without-auto-commit
>>
>> BUT I AM NOT GIT EXPERT, so I feel free to ignore this suggestion.
>> ​Further info​
>>  here:
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1241720/git-cherry-pick-
>> vs-merge-workflow
>>
>> ​Best regards,
>> Eddie​
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 9:30 AM, Rakesh Radhakrishnan <rakeshr@apache.org
>> >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Thanks Edward for the interest. I hope you are watching 'HowToRelease'
>> > using git page discussion, which is still in progress. I'd like to give
>> > some more time to the folks to push their interesting issues(I'd prefer
>> > issues with low risk) until the release procedure is finalized.
>> >
>> > I've marked ZOOKEEPER-2622's fix version to 3.4.10, appreciate your
>> > feedback on the attached pull request so that some of our committers
>> will
>> > help in pushing it upstream.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Rakesh
>> >
>> > On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 5:35 PM, Edward Ribeiro <
> [...]
But,
>> not
>> > used

>> 3.4.10