zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Rakesh Radhakrishnan <rake...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ZooKeeper 3.4.10 release discussion
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2017 11:04:16 GMT
Thanks Flavio. I've added few points, please go through and let me know
your feedback.

future reference, clone the document, and change the cloned document to
reflect the git
Agreed. I've created a copy from the existing HowToRelase. New page link
is,
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/HowToRelease+using+git
I will try to convert all the applicable svn related repo commands to git
commands.

look odd that we have svn there.
I've skipped this step earlier because this is not required for 3.4.10
releasing. Anyway, let me try my best to do the changes in
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/HowToRelease+using+git
page.

git log rather than maintain the CHANGES.txt file. If we aren't all onboard
with the idea of stopping to
How about using ZOOKEEPER-2672 jira to reach to a conclusion. I'm also +1
on removal, afaik there is no dependency. I'd like to give some more days
to the folks before deleting this file.

data for the release notes.
I remember, during 3.4.9 releasing, I had followed step-5 and successfully
prepared release note. I believe, we can continue following step-5. But, I
don't know the need of step-6 and am not aware about the background of this
step addition.

pretty sure that it is what you want. A much safer approach is to run "git
status" and "git add" to the
Agreed. I will change it.

other projects?
Its a signed tag. I've followed *Hadoop*'s way https://wiki.apache.org/
hadoop/HowToRelease. Please refer step-8 in *'Creating the release
candidate (X.Y.Z-RC<N>)' *section.

Thanks,
Rakesh

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Flavio Junqueira <fpj@apache.org> wrote:

> Here are a few comments on the proposal of changes to the release process:
>
> - It might be a better idea to preserve the HowToRelease document for
> future reference, clone the document, and change the cloned document to
> reflect the git commands rather than svn.
> - We still need to modify Step 2 to be git oriented, otherwise it will
> look odd that we have svn there.
> - In Step 4, I thought that we had informally agreed to rely on the git
> log rather than maintain the CHANGES.txt file. If we aren't all onboard
> with the idea of stopping to use CHANGES.txt, then we need to discuss this
> separately.
> - Steps 5 and 6: I'm not sure why the steps to produce the release notes
> changes. We still resolve issues on jira which is pretty much the source of
> data for the release notes.
> - Step 10: I personally don't like using "git commit -a" unless you're
> pretty sure that it is what you want. A much safer approach is to run "git
> status" and "git add" to the individual files/directories.
> - Step 11: Why are we tagging with -s? Is that standard practice in other
> projects?
>
> -Flavio
>
> > On 26 Jan 2017, at 03:30, Rakesh Radhakrishnan <rakeshr@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > Agreed, will try to resolve ZK-2184. I have included this to 3.4.10
> > releasing. I could see few open review comments in the PR, probably will
> > push once this is concluded.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rakesh
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 2:01 AM, Flavio Junqueira <fpj@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I'd like to have ZK-2184 in as well. I have seen many cases in which
> >> applications are affected by that problem. If folks can help me push it
> >> through, I'd appreciate.
> >>
> >> -Flavio

> hope

> as