zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Rakesh Radhakrishnan <rake...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ZooKeeper 3.4.10 release discussion
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2017 17:13:26 GMT
Hi folks,

ZOOKEEPER-2573 fix is agreed and will be resolved soon. After committing
this jira, I'm planning to start cutting a release candidate based on my
proposed "HowToRelease" ZK cwiki changes.

Appreciate feedback on proposed ZK cwiki https://cwiki.apache.org/
confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/HowToRelease changes. Please refer my previous
mail to understand more about it.

Thanks,
Rakesh

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 12:11 PM, Rakesh Radhakrishnan <rakeshr@apache.org>
wrote:

> [...]
>    - *Publishing -> modified step 1*
>
> Thanks,
> Rakesh
>
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 11:36 AM, Patrick Hunt <phunt@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps you can make the changes directly on the wiki page as a duplicate
>> line item under the original in a different color? It's hard for me to
>> really follow, esp as it's not a 1:1 replacement iiuc. Could you try
>> editing the wiki directly to start with, leave the original line and add
>> the new line(s) but in another color or some other indication?
>>
>> Thanks Rakesh.
>>
>> Patrick
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 8:48 AM, Rakesh Radhakrishnan <rakeshr@apache.org
>> >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi folks,
>> >
>> > As we all know, 3.4.10 release is the first ZooKeeper release after the
>> > github repository migration. I have tried an attempt to modify the steps
>> > described in the '
>> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/HowToRelease'
>> page
>> > make the release. Since this release is from an already created branch,
>> > have focused only the branch related parts in cwiki and below sections
>> in
>> > the page needed changes like,
>> >

>> > *Updating the release branch*
>> > 1. Check out the branch with:
>> > git clone -b branch-X.Y
>> > https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/zookeeper.git
>> >
>> > 2. I'm skipping this step, which is not required now.
>> >
>> > 4. Update CHANGES.txt with the committed jira details. As we follow PR
>> > merging, most of the jira info is not updated in this file. I believe
>> > release manager need to update this file to capture the jira details
>> marked
>> > for that release.
>> >
>> > 10. Commit these changes.
>> > git commit -a -m "Preparing for release X.Y.Z"
>> > git push <remote> <branch>
>> >
>> > 11. Tag the release candidate (R is the release candidate number, and
>> > starts from 0):
>> > git tag -s release-X.Y.Z-rcR -m "ZooKeeper X.Y.Z-rcR release."
>> >
>> > Push the newly created rc tag to the remote repo.
>> > git push <remote> release-X.Y.Z-rcR
>> >

>> > *Building*
>> > 9. Call for a release vote on dev
>> >           In the release candidate dev mail format, it needs to change
>> the
>> > tag like,
>> >
>> >           "The RC tag in git to be voted upon: release-X.Y.Z-rcR"
>> >

>> > *Publishing*
>> > 1. Tag the release:
>> > git tag -s release-X.Y.Z -m "ZooKeeper X.Y.Z release."
>> >
>> > Push the newly created release tag to the remote repo.
>> > git push <remote> release-X.Y.Z
>> >

>> > I'd like to know whether I'm going in the right direction and start
>> cutting
>> > the 3.4.10 release by following this approach. Thanks!
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Rakesh
>> >
>> > On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 11:09 AM, Rakesh Radhakrishnan <

RM.