zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Paper
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2017 14:28:41 GMT
As one of the authors of pacemaker in Apache Storm (and the paper), I am happy to answer any
questions about why we did it or how it works.  The reality of it is storm was, and still
is by default, abusing zookeeper by trying to store a massive amount of metrics in it, instead
of the configuration/coordination it was designed for. And since storm metrics don't really
need strong consistency or even that much in terms of reliability guarantees we stood up a
netty server in front of a ConcurrentHashMap (quite literately) and then wrote a client that
could handle fail-over.
It really is meant as a scalability stepping stone until we can get to the point that all
the metrics go to a TSDB that is actually designed for metrics. But like I said if you have
any questions I am happy to answer them.
Sadly because of the way IEEE works neither I nor my employer own the copy right to that paper
any more so I can't even put a copy of it up for you to read.

- Bobby

On Thursday, January 26, 2017, 6:44:56 AM CST, ibrahim El-sanosi <ibrahimsabattt@gmail.com>
wrote:Hi folk,

There is a paper published recently "PaceMaker: When ZooKeeper Arteries Get
Clogged in Storm Clusters" [1]. It may worth to read.

[1]
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7820303/?tp=&arnumber=7820303&contentType=Conference%20Publications&dld=eWFob28uY29t&source=SEARCHALERT

Ibrahim