zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ZooKeeper cwiki - Updated ZooKeeper and SASL auth 1045 work
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2016 03:33:28 GMT
Nice job Rakesh, some comments:

1) the appendix is a great idea, should be useful for many people. One
thing I noticed
"There is no additional dependencies needed to use SASL with Java since it
is part of the the Java Standard Edition." - you might want to mention/link
the JCE? The JVM doesn't come with very modern encryption - some of the
distros use more strong encryption out of the box with kerberos. I've run
into this a number of times (need to also install JCE).

2) consistently use "ZooKeeper" rather than "Zookeeper". Only noticed this
in a few places...

3) on client-server it would be good to mention when it was added (3.4.0+),
similar to what you did with 1045.

4) on "ZooKeeper SASL configurations" the numbering of the bullets starts
at 2.1. and finishes at 2.4. I suspect the formatting didn't copy over
quite right?

5) similar formatting issue for "# Defaulting to
20quorum.cnxn.threads.size=20"

Can we give any insight into how this value should be set? i.e. why is 20
the default and when should it be raised/lowered?

6) can the doc shed any light on why we are recommending
"javax.security.auth.useSubjectCredsOnly=false" ? I'm not familiar with
this myself.

7) "This feature is supported in 3.4 branch" is ambiguous - perhaps
rephrase. What "feature" are you referring to, 1045 or to rolling upgrade?
Also the ref to 3.4 itself is ambiguous - perhaps change to 3.4.10+?

These are some minor nits, overall impressive effort -- thanks again Rakesh!

Patrick