zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Flavio Junqueira <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Upcoming 3.4/3.5 releases.
Date Sun, 11 Dec 2016 16:45:32 GMT
It is not the inclusion of ZK-2014 that is being questioned, it is the fact that we made API
changes without deprecating methods and making the changes compatible. I don't mind making
the changes Jordan is suggesting as it is pretty much just bringing back the old calls and
marking them as deprecated. If I understand the patch correctly, it is not re-opening the
old security problem, but I'd need to do a more thorough review to be sure, I really just
skimmed through the patch.

If it is just a matter of marking old API calls as deprecated without compromising security,
then I don't see it being a big problem. The bit I'm not so sure is why Curator can't adapt
to the change, which is what I'd expect given that 3.5 is alpha.


> On 08 Dec 2016, at 16:19, Patrick Hunt <phunt@apache.org> wrote:
> The inclusion of ZOOKEEPER-2014 has been raised as a problem by Jordan (see
> the separate thread on this list). I don't feel I can cut a 3.5.3-alpha
> release until the issue has been resolved by the community. I was hoping to
> get a release candidate created before vacation starts, so please comment
> on that thread asap so that we can progress.
> Patrick
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 8:53 AM, Flavio Junqueira <fpj@apache.org> wrote:
>> We need to regenerate the documentation to include recent changes. I have
>> created ZK-2635 and assigned to myself. It should be simple enough, though.
>> I've marked the fix version to include 3.5.3 and 3.6.0, but I'm not sure if
>> anything has been merged recently into the 3.4 branch that had
>> documentation changes. If anyone is aware of such a change, please change
>> the jira accordingly.
>> This is not necessarily a blocker, but there is one issue that we need to
>> resolve with our current workflow. Previously, we submitted patches by
>> uploading the patch and hitting the "Submit Patch" button. Submitting the
>> patch triggers the QA build, which executes the test script, which goes to
>> jira and fetches the patch to test. With pull requests, the process is
>> different. The github plugin triggers the build, which fetches the diff
>> from the PR and runs the test script.
>> Ideally, if it is a pull request, we change the status of the jira to
>> "Patch Available", but we do not trigger the QA for jira patches. I don't
>> know how to do it, though, so the choices we have are:
>> 1- To only change the status to "Patch Available" if there is a jira
>> patch, which is not ideal.
>> 2- To disable the jira patch QA and rely only on pull requests.
>> Unless someone comes up with a solution that enables us to change the
>> status of the jira to path available and only triggers QA in the case there
>> is a jira patch, I believe the best option is number 2 and the [DISCUSS]
>> thread I started about this seems to indicate that others prefer that
>> option too. If folks feel it is necessary to vote to capture more precisely
>> the decision, I can start a vote thread on the dev list.
>> -Flavio
>>> On 23 Nov 2016, at 17:39, Patrick Hunt <phunt@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Forgot to mention. These will be our first releases using git rather than
>>> svn. Does anyone know of remaining issues we need to resolve related to
>>> this prior to cutting a release?
>>> Patrick
>>> On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 9:38 AM, Patrick Hunt <phunt@apache.org> wrote:
>>>> Hi folks. Now that ZOOKEEPER-2014 has been committed I think we should
>> cut
>>>> a 3.5.3-alpha release. We're getting close to beta with that one
>> finalized.
>>>> There are about 10 blockers, although I have not recently gone through
>> and
>>>> triaged them
>>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa?
>> selectPageId=12327688
>>>> note that about half of those are patch available, if you have some free
>>>> cycles please focus on these, here's the prioritized list:
>>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12336872&
>>>> jql=project%20%3D%20zookeeper%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%203.
>>>> 5.3%20and%20resolution%20%3D%20unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%
>> 20priority%20DESC
>>>> I believe Rakesh (please confirm) is interested in releasing 3.4.10 once
>>>> ZOOKEEPER-1045 is committed. That patch has had extensive testing and
>>>> documentation (kudos Rakesh, et. al.) and is in final review -- unless
>>>> someone speaks up it will be committed soon, probably next week. Here's
>> the
>>>> prioritized list, not sure of those blockers really are blockers -
>> Flavio
>>>> do we still need to address the netty license issue:
>>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12338391&
>>>> jql=project%20%3D%20zookeeper%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%203.
>>>> 4.10%20and%20resolution%20%3D%20unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%
>> 20priority%20DESC
>>>> Patrick

View raw message