zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Елисей Занько <elisey.za...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Official Docker Image
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2016 18:28:20 GMT
Guys,

    Thanks for bringing this up! Maybe this
https://docs.docker.com/docker-hub/official_repos/ will clarify things a
bit more.

    "While it is preferrable to have upstream software authors maintaining
their corresponding Official Repositories, this is not a strict
requirement. Creating and maintaining images for Official Repositories is a
public process. It takes place openly on GitHub where participation is
encouraged. Anyone can provide feedback, contribute code, suggest process
changes, or even propose a new Official Repository."

    Patrick, the image I proposed does use the official ZK releases from
the Apache mirrors. Moreover, during the build process the PGP signature of
the distro is checked as required by the Docker library contributing
guidelines. You can see this here
https://github.com/31z4/zookeeper-docker/blob/master/3.4.8/Dockerfile#L20-L35

Regards,
Elisey

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 10:46 PM Patrick Hunt <phunt@apache.org> wrote:

> So I have it backward then? In that case what would we need to contribute?
> I do see tomcat and httpd there, but from what I can tell the "official"
> aspect is in terms of the dockerfile/image rather than from the project
> being "dockerized". As long as the work there is not conflicting with
> trademark/copyright/etc... it should be fine I would think. For example if
> docker attempted to create their own releases and call them "apache
> zookeeper x.y.z" rather than using our releases as the basis for the images
> that would be an issue.
>
> Patrick
>
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 10:33 AM, Flavio Junqueira <
> fpjunqueira@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> > My interpretation is that it is official from a Docker perspective, not
> > from a Apache ZooKeeper perspective. I wonder if we can make the official
> > docker image also official apache zk image.
> >
> > -Flavio
> >
> > > On 24 Jun 2016, at 16:35, Patrick Hunt <phunt@apache.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > My 0.02 - I wouldn't define anything as "official" that isn't part of
> the
> > > project itself. That said if folks want to create projects such as this
> > I'm
> > > fine with them linking from something like the wiki. We've done similar
> > for
> > > client bindings:
> > > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/ZKClientBindings
> > > don't see why we couldn't create a "Running ZooKeeper in Containers"
> type
> > > of wiki page and link from that.
> > >
> > > Patrick

> the