zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Nauroth <cnaur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Test failure
Date Sun, 01 Nov 2015 21:49:41 GMT
Digging into the console log, I found evidence of a memory corruption error at the JVM level.

     [exec]     [junit] Running org.apache.zookeeper.test.ClientPortBindTest in thread 2
     [exec]     [junit] 2015-10-31 22:43:13,546 [myid:] - INFO  [main:JUnit4ZKTestRunner@47]
- No test.method specified. using default methods.
     [exec]     [junit] 2015-10-31 22:43:13,558 [myid:] - INFO  [main:ZKTestCase$1@55] - STARTING
testBindByAddress
     [exec]     [junit] 2015-10-31 22:43:13,559 [myid:] - INFO  [main:JUnit4ZKTestRunner$LoggedInvokeMethod@77]
- RUNNING TEST METHOD testBindByAddress
     [exec]     [junit] *** Error in `/home/jenkins/tools/java/jdk1.7.0-64/jre/bin/java':
malloc(): memory corruption: 0x00007ffc2c31e220 ***
     [exec]     [junit] Test org.apache.zookeeper.test.ClientPortBindTest FAILED (crashed)
     [exec]     [junit] Running org.apache.zookeeper.test.ClientPortBindTest in thread 2
     [exec]     [junit] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0
sec, Thread: 2, Class: org.apache.zookeeper.test.ClientPortBindTest

That's odd.  ClientPortBindTest is purely a Java test.  We aren't doing JNI or anything.

The test calls NetworkInterface.getNetworkInterfaces().  Looking through JDK bug reports,
I see that there have been memory management bugs in this method.

The console log also shows that we're running a fairly old version of Java 7.

java version "1.7.0_25"
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode)

I cannot repro this in any of my own environments, including a Java 1.7.0_67 environment and
a Java 1.8.0_45 environment.

I think it's likely that we're looking at an old Java bug, not a problem in the ZooKeeper
codebase.  If others agree, then I can file an INFRA JIRA to ask them for an upgrade to the
latest Java 7 revision on our Jenkins hosts.

--Chris Nauroth