zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: feedback zkclient
Date Thu, 01 Oct 2009 06:57:51 GMT
I started looking a bit more closely at the source, some questions:

1) I tried generating the javadocs (see my fork of the project on github
if you want my changes to build.xml for this) but it looks like there's
pretty much no javadoc. Some information, particularly on semantics of
user-exposed operations would be useful (esp re my earlier README
comment - some high level document describing the benefits, etc... of
the library)

If I'm your proto-typical "lazy developer" (which I am :-) ), I'm really
expecting some helpful docs to get me bootstrapped.

2) what purpose does ZkEventThread serve?

3) there's definitely an issue in the retryUntilConnected logic that you
need to address

let's say you call zkclient.create, and the connection to the server is
lost while the request is in flight. At this point ConnectionLoss is
thrown on the client side, however you (client) have no information on
whether the server has made the change or not. The retry method's while
loop will re-run the create (after reconnect), and the result seen by
the caller (user code) could be either OK or may be NODEEXISTS
exception, there's no way to know which.

Mahadev is working on ZOOKEEPER-22 which will address this issue, but
that's a future version, not today.

4) when I saw that you had separated zkclient and zkconnection I thought
"ah, this is interesting" however when I saw the implementation I was
confused:

a) what purpose does this separation serve?
b) I thought it was to allow multiple zkclients to share a single
connection, however looking at zkclient.close, it closes the underlying
connection.

5) there's a lot of wrapping of exceptions, looks like this is done in
order to make them unchecked. Is this wise? How much "simpler" does it
really make things? Esp things like interrupted exception? As you
mentioned, one of your intents is to simplify things, but perhaps too
simple? Some short, clear examples of usage would be helpful here to
compare/contrast, I took a very quick look at some of the tests but that
didn't help much. Is there a test(s) in particular that I should look at
to see how zkclient is used, and the benefits incurred?

Regards,

Patrick