zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ZooKeeper community
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2008 20:12:29 GMT
Hiram Chirino wrote:
> looks like you guys are not in the PMC.  Sorry about that.  But it
> bring us a weird governance issue which is very anti Apahe..  usually
> an Apache project is self governed, but from the look of the
> authorization file, it seems like the zookeeper committers cannot
> properly self govern.  It makes things like doing releases, adding new
> committers and pmc members much more complex since the PMC members are
> not actively working on the project.

PMC members (like me) are expected to monitor the project.  I don't
moderate this list, but I'd be surprised if a few other PMC members are
not also following it.  We hope to eventually promote some of
Zookeeper's committers to the Hadoop PMC.  All seasoned committers
should be on the PMC, but the Zookeeper folks are still relative newbies
at Apache and none have made it there yet.

To some degree the Hadoop PMC is incubating Zookeeper.  Zookeeper's
committers are like the PPMC.  If things go well, as with all Hadoop
committers, they'll be nominated to Hadoop's PMC.  There'll be no formal
graduation, just gradual maturation.  If the community diverges
sufficiently from Hadoop's, then it may someday make sense to promote
Zookeeper to a TLP.

Doug