zookeeper-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Website
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2008 18:32:07 GMT
James Strachan wrote:
> Incidentally a totally different thought; whats gonna be the split
> between whats the static website (e.g. Forrest) versus stuff thats in
> the wiki versus documentation that goes inside each release? Its often
> a kinda slippery slope figuring out which bit does what

Official documentation for end-users is in subversion (Forrest).  This
is vetted by the release process.

Un-official, typically user-generated documentation whose accuracy,
copyright, etc. is not guaranteed by the project goes in the wiki.

The wiki is also used for some developer documentation that is not
intended for end users, e.g., HowToRelease, HowToContribute, etc.  These
could migrate into the project's official website
(repos/asf/hadoop/zookeeper/site) if we like.

> and its a PITA
> moving content into different formats to move between them; so while
> no tool is perfect, I kinda like that with confluence there's just one
> place to put docs and you can then slice and dice as you see fit

Sure, it would be convenient if these were all in a common format, but,
as mentioned before, Confluence would make it harder to manage branched
documentation.

Doug