zookeeper-bookkeeper-user mailing list archives

From Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: rolling restarts
Date Thu, 03 May 2012 15:20:32 GMT
On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 10:45:51AM -0400, John Nagro wrote:
> Okay - and doing the upgrade to a live cluster? I can do that to 1 machine
> at a time while the cluster is still online and everything should operate
> as normal? I have 5 machines, use 3 at a time, quorum of 2.
In terms of rolling restarts, if ensemble size if 3 and you have 5
machines, you can bring down one machine at a time and it'll be
fine. Any clients writing to that machine will move very quickly to
using one of the other machines (it'll see the network drop, and
rebuild an ensemble from the other machines).

Regarding whether you need to run the upgrade code, it depends on what
the old version of bookkeeper you are using is. If you need to run
upgrade, the bookie will warn you and fail to start.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BOOKKEEPER-163 is actually the
change that requires the upgrade framework.

-Ivan