zipkin-dev mailing list archives

From Ignasi Barrera <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: how do we address QuickStart and not asking users to do things laborious
Date Wed, 15 May 2019 15:15:15 GMT
The main problem is that on the current website the Quickstart page is
the only place with instructions on how to get Zipkin, and it points
to using, strictly speaking, non-official-release artifacts and
artifacts that have not been voted upon, such as the Docker image.

The project should have a main Download (or whatever name you prefer)
page that points to the ASF official release as the main option, with
links to the official ASF source release, checksums, signature files,
and some instructions on how to use those files to verify integrity,
etc. Those files are actually the only ones you as a PMC are strictly
responsible for. Any other published content is convenience content to
make users lives easier and should be clearly marked as such in the
download page.

[some context because understanding the "whys" is important,
especially for the PMC]
The reasoning behind this is expectations. Software from the ASF comes
with a set of guarantees enforced by the use of the Apache License,
but also with an additional set of "social" guarantees not directly
provided by the license but enforced by the PMC (project independence,
neutrality, etc) and how the Foundation expects projects to operate.
These guarantees are extremely important for people consuming Apache
software. They are the main value the Foundation provides to end-users
and we want these expectations to be met by all Apache projects. The
PMCs are responsible for doing their best to create releases that
achieve that.
Since the convenience artifacts cannot be subject to the same diligent
checks than source releases (for example you are not inspecting
binaries to check if there is ASLv2 incompatible stuff) we cannot
provide those guarantees there, thus we don't consider those official
ASF releases, although we understand convenience and allow to
distribute them too.
[/some context]

So, each Apache project should have a Download page explaining how to
get the software, and the main option there should be how to obtain
the official artifacts that provide the mentioned above. There can be
also instructions to get convenience binaries and other ways to get
and use the software, but the distinction should be clear.

If that page exists (which is not the case now), I see no issue in
keeping the Quickstart page as-is, as long as we meet the previous
criteria and Quickstart is seen as "hey, to get the official release
you can go here, but if you want to start playing with it right away
you can do this".

Hope this makes sense,

I.