zipkin-dev mailing list archives

From Adrian Cole <adrian.f.c...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Zipkin Reporter (incubating) version 2.8.3
Date Tue, 21 May 2019 06:35:00 GMT
Thanks, Andriy.

We have been working with the understanding that we get "mvn test" to
execute as many projects include integration tests that have some
workstation sensitivity, but are not required to execute for the project to
pass tests (unit tests). For example, we have no plans to be a docker
support organization either and some projects use docker for heavy tests.

Instead of deleting these integration tests or moving them to a separate
repository, solely to pass the source verification.. we classify them under
integration tests which means they are invoked when people use the "verify"
goal instead of "test" which some actually dont know about, but heh was
precisely what you used. In other words we explicitly had these as ITxx to
prevent needing to support exactly what you asked about.

Moreover, we have had this exact discussion before in zipkin brave karaf,
probably you maybe forgot that.

Is there something in our README that is telling someone to use verify
implicitly? if so we should add skipITs to that in the next release.

If not, I would suggest we don't repeat the conversation about integration
tests on every package we release as there will be nothing different
between these conversations and having them might introduce FUD when we go
for IPMC or yet another thing to talk about, for every repo, when what is
being discussed is not required for someone to build and test the software
and also formerly discussed and came to conclusion.

make sense?

-A