zipkin-dev mailing list archives

From Zoltán Nagy <abe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: can someone help restore functionality of our website
Date Sun, 21 Apr 2019 20:59:04 GMT
On the matter of https://github.com/apache/incubator-zipkin-api/issues/62 (that
is, URLs like https://zipkin.io/zipkin-api/#/default/get_services being
broken), this is now mitigated by a generous layer of duct-tape (details in
the ticket; short version: I copy-pasted the contents into `openzipkin/
openzipkin.github.io`).  As a next step, I'll now try to reconcile the
changes between the two repositories and put up a PR. I'll also put a note
onto openzipkin.github.io along the lines of "go away, this is now read
only and deprecated" in another PR.

> Will it be possible to redirect the Apache domain to zipkin.io for now?

We have control of the contents via the `apache/incubator-zipkin-website`
repo (and accompanying Jenkins job), but I think we shouldn't do this if we
can avoid it. Reconciling the changes should be doable, and we'll _have_ to
do it at some point, so I'd recommend focusing efforts on that.

> Oh right. Yeah. We could do a JavaScript redirect with a "we have moved"
> message or something. Would be good to just get users used to us being at
> Apache instead, and solve the bookmark problem.

Yep, that sounds about right .

> To be more SEO friendly maybe we could find some way of serving redirect
> Maybe that's a solution since GH pages doesn't support that AFAIK

Yeah this can get messy. I guess since this is a static site, we _could_
generate a static redirect page for each URL that used to be served on
zipkin.io. It shouldn't actually be all that hard :)