zipkin-dev mailing list archives

From Zoltán Nagy <abe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: can someone help restore functionality of our website
Date Sun, 21 Apr 2019 21:23:48 GMT
https://github.com/openzipkin/openzipkin.github.io/pull/128 replaces
README.md with a notice and explanation redirecting people to the ASF
website repo, and also adds a PR template containing the same information
just in case.

I think once these PRs are merged, the immediate emergency is over, and we
won't regress either. At the same time, we need to next take care of an
orderly migration to zipkin.apache.org. Bigger work items I see right now,
might be missing something:

* Update the build process at
https://builds.apache.org/view/Z/view/Zipkin/job/zipkin-website/ (managed
via a Jenkinsfile) to pull in (and possibly generate) documentation from
http://github.com/apache/incubator-zipkin-api. Here we'll want to verify
`index.html` in subfolders works as expected on ASF hosting.
  * While we're there, we might as well try to incorporate the Thrift v1
docs generation into the Jenkins job.
* Set up redirects from zipkin.io to zipkin.apache.org. I think the
cleanest way is an explicit (generated) redirect page for each URL that
used to be served on zipkin.io, but not married to the idea.
* Update any references to zipkin.io. This includes documentation, source
code comments, the Swagger UI, the Thrift v1 docs generator script, and
quickstart.sh off the top of my head. The sane way of approaching this is
probably cloning all the repos, and grepping through them for
https?://zipkin\.io.

JC, I realistically won't have the bandwidth to take on all of this in a
timely manner. Would be super happy if you can drive these steps (and
fixing this "plan" ^_^). Feel free to delegate back parts of the work, or
nudge me if stuff is confusing.

I should've taken care of all this once the website repo was moved, since I
committed to taking care of the website migration, but didn't act on it. I
apologize for letting y'all down to the point where it blew up and caused
user pain.

On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 10:06 PM Zoltán Nagy <abesto@apache.org> wrote:

> https://github.com/apache/incubator-zipkin-website/pull/2/ brings over
> all changes from openzipkin/openzipkin.github.io. Did a quick check via
> `jekyll serve`, it looks sane, but I'll wait for review from someone who's
> more familiar with the content.
>

> On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 9:59 PM Zoltán Nagy <abesto@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On the matter of https://github.com/apache/incubator-zipkin-api/issues/62 (that
>> is, URLs like https://zipkin.io/zipkin-api/#/default/get_services being
>> broken), this is now mitigated by a generous layer of duct-tape (details in
>> the ticket; short version: I copy-pasted the contents into `openzipkin/
>> openzipkin.github.io`).  As a next step, I'll now try to reconcile the
>> changes between the two repositories and put up a PR. I'll also put a note
>> onto openzipkin.github.io along the lines of "go away, this is now read
>> only and deprecated" in another PR.
>>
>> > Will it be possible to redirect the Apache domain to zipkin.io for now?
>>
>> We have control of the contents via the `apache/incubator-zipkin-website`
>> repo (and accompanying Jenkins job), but I think we shouldn't do this if we
>> can avoid it. Reconciling the changes should be doable, and we'll _have_ to
>> do it at some point, so I'd recommend focusing efforts on that.
>>
>> > Oh right. Yeah. We could do a JavaScript redirect with a "we have moved"
>> > message or something. Would be good to just get users used to us being
>> at
>> > Apache instead, and solve the bookmark problem.
>>
>> Yep, that sounds about right .
>>
>> > To be more SEO friendly maybe we could find some way of serving redirect
>> ago.
>> > Maybe that's a solution since GH pages doesn't support that AFAIK
>>
>> Yeah this can get messy. I guess since this is a static site, we _could_
>> generate a static redirect page for each URL that used to be served on
>> zipkin.io. It shouldn't actually be all that hard :)
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 9:44 PM José Carlos Chávez <jcchavezs@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Will it be possible to redirect the Apache domain to zipkin.io for now?
>>>
>>> søn. 21. apr. 2019, 22:00 skrev Brian Devins-Suresh <badevins@gmail.com

>>> moved"
>>> at

>>> redirect