zipkin-dev mailing list archives

From José Carlos Chávez <jcchav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: can someone help restore functionality of our website
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2019 09:20:44 GMT
Hi Zoltan,

I am working on that ATM. I am looking at the first step:
> * Update the build process at
https://builds.apache.org/view/Z/view/Zipkin/job/zipkin-website/ (managed
via a Jenkinsfile) to pull in (and possibly generate) documentation from
http://github.com/apache/incubator-zipkin-api. Here we'll want to verify
`index.html` in subfolders works as expected on ASF hosting.

My original idea is that we could include the zipkin-api as a gitsubmodule
and thus ease the build. I am not familiar with jenkinsfile but I think if
the submodule works I can just include the `git submodule update
--recursive --remote` somewhere in the jenkins file (or make file). Will
keep you posted.

José Carlos Chávez

fre. 26. apr. 2019 kl. 11:05 skrev Zoltán Nagy <abesto@apache.org>:

> JC, are you still planning to take on this? Do you maybe have any updates
> to share on this? Or anything in particular I can help with?
>
> On Sun, Apr 21, 2019, 22:27 Zoltán Nagy <abesto@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > (Oh, also: the README in
> > https://github.com/apache/incubator-zipkin-website is full of lies.
> > Another work item is getting that updated with the new ASF reality)
> >
> > On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 10:23 PM Zoltán Nagy <abesto@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> https://github.com/openzipkin/openzipkin.github.io/pull/128 replaces
> >> README.md with a notice and explanation redirecting people to the ASF
> >> website repo, and also adds a PR template containing the same
> information
> >> just in case.
> >>
> >> I think once these PRs are merged, the immediate emergency is over, and
> >> we won't regress either. At the same time, we need to next take care of
> an
> >> orderly migration to zipkin.apache.org. Bigger work items I see right
> >> now, might be missing something:
> >>
> >> * Update the build process at
> >> https://builds.apache.org/view/Z/view/Zipkin/job/zipkin-website/
> (managed
> >> via a Jenkinsfile) to pull in (and possibly generate) documentation from
> >> http://github.com/apache/incubator-zipkin-api. Here we'll want to
> verify
> >> `index.html` in subfolders works as expected on ASF hosting.
> >>   * While we're there, we might as well try to incorporate the Thrift v1
> >> docs generation into the Jenkins job.
> >> * Set up redirects from zipkin.io to zipkin.apache.org. I think the
> >> cleanest way is an explicit (generated) redirect page for each URL that
> >> used to be served on zipkin.io, but not married to the idea.
> >> * Update any references to zipkin.io. This includes documentation,
> >> source code comments, the Swagger UI, the Thrift v1 docs generator
> script,
> >> and quickstart.sh off the top of my head. The sane way of approaching
> this
> >> is probably cloning all the repos, and grepping through them for
> >> https?://zipkin\.io.
> >>
> >> JC, I realistically won't have the bandwidth to take on all of this in a
> >> timely manner. Would be super happy if you can drive these steps (and
> >> fixing this "plan" ^_^). Feel free to delegate back parts of the work,
> or
> >> nudge me if stuff is confusing.
> >>
> >> I should've taken care of all this once the website repo was moved,
> since
> >> I committed to taking care of the website migration, but didn't act on
> it.
> >> I apologize for letting y'all down to the point where it blew up and
> [...]
for more on

> ,

Chávez <

it until Tuesday